Wines have been cultivated in the region of Auxerre since the 2nd century. In the Middle Ages, wines occupied almost the entire cultivable surface of the commune, and Auxerre wines were greatly appreciated " Auxerre, the drink of kings !" was the cry at the time !
Unusual : The Clos de la Chaînette
Previously owned by Benedictine monks, the wines of Clos de la Chaînette are the only ones still producing in the town of Auxerre. Following the phyloxerra crisis that destroyed a vast majority of vineyards in the 19th century, Clos de la Chaînette came under the ownership of the Yonne Department Psychiatric Hospital. Awarded Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée (AOC) status in 1947, the wines of Clos de la Chaînette are a well-preserved antique heritage. Vinification and the slow growing of the last vintage lead to an agreeable result : a honeyed white Burgundy with a pleasant nose of quince, and an elegant red, all fruits and spices.
The wine is sold in the first week of December, when the 2 600 registered customers can aim to buy a case of 12 bottles of this happy elixir that should be drink in moderation...